Monday, September 15, 2014

Salt Lake Comic Con

Hi Everybody! (Be honest, what voice did you read that in?) I hope you are all having a great week so far. Sorry I was gone all last week. I was just getting caught up on stuff after Comic Con. Also, Supernatural season 9 came out on DVD so...yeah I have to finish that before season 10 starts!

So here it is, my great comic con review!

Loki Kitty had to come home with me!
Day One: I met my comic con group (there were 10 of us all together!) at the train station. (NOTE: Always take the train. Yes, you do have to pay for it. But then you save gas and parking. And you get to chill out and talk with all your friends, instead of someone having to pay attention to, you know, driving.)

Train station selfie. Also, random people we don't know.
Like the girl in the steampunk hat up front, and those tiny heads in back.
Once we got to the Salt Palace, we separated into lines. (VIPs get in early AND have a special line; always go VIP.) I only had to wait about 45 minutes to get in, but that was because we'd arrived before it opened. Day 1 was a shopping day, as we had no photo ops planned and only a couple panels that we wanted to get to.

Look who I found! Bloody Dean, a Con Exclusive! PS I LOVE pop figures...
The one panel that I, and most of the group, really wanted to go to today was the 2 Doctors panel. We got there early to get in line but they let us sneak into the Cary Elwes panel. I'm glad we got there because he was awesome and funny!

Cary Elwes, AKA Westley

Because we were in the room early we got awesome seats for the 2 Doctors panel. They had the 6th (Colin Baker) and 8th (Paul McGann) doctors from Doctor Who. Both men were sweet and British and interesting. Colin Baker was a tad crotchety which made him all the more funny! And it doesn't hurt that Paul McGann is a total babe.

I mean, just look at him! So cute!
After this I shopped a little more and ate an $11 burrito for dinner. (Oh con food, why are you so expensive, and so not amazing?) We headed home shortly after.

Day Two: Shopping again! Look at this cute cosplayer I found!

Toothless!
Also we spent a lot of time at the Weta and Evermore exhibits. They were so cool! This Smaug opened his eyes and looked around!

Oh, you're a scary little dragon aren't you?
And, man, I am so excited for Evermore Park! Please open up soon! I tried to take more pictures of this "booth" but it was always so dang crowded! I did get to trade a bronze sharpie for an Evermore coin that will be good for a VIP perk or something when the park opens.

That scary creature moved!

We were on the upper level of Evermore, do you see Smaug in the background?
Some of my friends had a photo op with Alan Tudyk, but I decided I would rather watch his panel. And I am so glad I did! He was so entertaining! I wish I would have gone up to ask a question because he was giving out random stuff.

Wash! Please come back!
We had our photo op with John Barrowman today. He was so fun! He came out and spoke to the line about their pictures and stuff first. I was lucky to be at the front so I could hear him really well! Yay!

He squeezed us really tight! Yay
We ended the night with a Supernatural panel. Man I love that show. And I love talking about it with people who also love that show. I wish the panelists (authors) had made it more of a conversation and less of an opportunity to pimp their books...but it was still fun. Some girls in line for the panel had this awesome art!

Awesome SPN fanart. Adventure of acquiring it below.
Day Three: Day of panels! We were lucky (read: had a VIP pass so we got in early!) to get really good seats and keep them for all 3 panels we wanted to see! First up was Simon Helberg.

He's on the right, if you can't tell.
He was sweet and stuff, but he wasn't as funny as I had hoped. But I guess we has sick so maybe that had something to do with it. Then, the moment I was really waiting for, Stephen Amell panel!

Look at him! He is so dreamy!
Now, this is a man who can hold the attention of a crowd. He was hilarious, exciting, and proved that he had some serious nerd cred. I was impressed with his entire personality. I didn't think anything could upstage him, but then... John Barrowman.

Cute. Cute. Cute.
Mr. Barrowman is dazzling. He was hysterical, sweet, naughty, flamboyant, and just plain great. I think I lost my voice from how often I screamed and yelled and shouted with him! Then, to top it all off, he sang to us! So cool!

After sitting in the same chairs for 3 plus hours I really wanted to walk around. And we had a mission. That Supernatural art I already showed you, well we really wanted to find it. And the girl from the panel the night before gave us specific directions really vague meandering areas to look through. We practically ran through Artist Alley looking for anything like it. After an hour of solid looking, we almost gave us as it was about time for the Stephen Amell photo op. But then my friend Alexandra spotted one last artist that we hadn't checked out. And lo and behold, there it was! Wahoo!

He was really, really tall. And yummy! If you don't watch Arrow, do it! Now! I'll wait!
After the photo, we left the con. It is really sad knowing you won't be back the next day. I wish my real life was as magical and colorful and comic con!

Best Part of the Con: Stephen Amell...John Barrowman...Stephen Amell...John Barrowman...uhh it's too hard to decide!

Worst Part of the Con: Um...my experience was pretty good. I heard there were really bad lines on Thursday but I didn't have them. I guess, Saturday was a little uncomfortably crowded; I could hardly walk through the isles. And the food is over priced. But it was mostly a fun time!

Pro Tip: PRE-REGISTER! I don't care if you live far away, do it anyway. Have a friend help you. Come in really early the day of, just do it! And go VIP. Or don't, less VIPs for me to compete with! Also, wear comfortable shoes!

The other art I got! Such pretty men!
Still been walking a lot. Throwing in a little jogging. Avenger's Half is in two months!! How do you people get through your exercise slumps?


Question of the Day: Did you go to Salt Lake Comic Con or another convention? What was your favorite/least favorite part?

And, in case you need more reason to watch Supernatural, I will leave you with an actual quote from the show - Dean, to an evil scarecrow that killed people, "Dude, you fugly."

4 comments:

  1. I'll be posting about SLCC soon on my blog. I actually had Gold and it was great! We got in early to the floor and the lines weren't really bad! We were also going to take trax, but because we like to put purchases in the car(we buy a lot of prints and don't want them hurt), we opted to drive. Worked out great because we actually parked underneath the salt palace every time, so it was way easy to go down(took maybe 5-10 minutes depending on where you were at), and pretty much walked right into the convention via elevator. The price for parking was great too and we split it with my brother in law and his wife. I got a lot of photo ops this time as well, which did prevent me from going to many panels, but I honestly went to the ones that I really wanted to go to no problem :) I had a lot more fun at SLCC than I had at FanX(which was also fun!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun to read your experience... like being there again! This was my first one and I had a blast, which was a little unexpected given that my friend and I were both there with babies! :) But really, SO fun. Did you see that John Barrowman photo bombed us in the TARDIS? Pretty much the best moment ever, and made up for the fact that we missed his panel (because, y'know, babies don't care if there is a really great reason for the screaming ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see your pic! That was so cool! Was yours the baby wearing the tardis?

      Delete